Read In Your Native Language

Friday, May 22, 2015

A.S. Face 1539: Samantha Cannon

A.S. Face 1539: Samantha Cannon

Fasce 1539
I was diagnosed at age 34, when an infection caused massive widespread inflammation throughout my body, affecting my hips and knees until I couldn’t walk.  I spent two weeks in the hospital, and was released with no real explanation for what was happening to me.  In comparison to a lot of stories, it didn’t take me very long to get my diagnosis, which is a blessing.  I found a fantastic rheumatologist who almost immediately suspected AS.  However, it was still about a year before I could begin treatment with methotrexate and Humira.  I had a lot of physical therapy and finally was able to ditch the cane and I’m back to walking mostly normally (a little bit of a limp, but I’ll take it!)
The most difficult part for me has been trying to explain AS to others.  The name sounds like a toddler made it up and very few people have ever heard of it, so that part is frustrating.  But I am very thankful for the supportive people in my life, who are right there for me, even if they can’t pronounce the name of my disease.  :)
Georgia, United States of America

No comments:

Post a Comment