A.S. Face 0599: Kathryn Douglas
My name is Kathryn, and I am a fourth year Biology major at the University of British Columbia. I hope to start working towards my Masters degree in Neurobiology next year. I was born and raised in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
After 7 years of joint pain and fatigue, an X-ray in 2009 showed erosion of my SI joints, and I was diagnosed with AS at age 19. I am currently taking celebrex and Humira (which has recently given me Tumid Lupus – you can see a few red spots on my hand in the picture) to manage my symptoms
Before my diagnosis, I had been a competitive freestyle skier, avid downhill mountain biker, novice rock climber and overall adrenaline junkie. The biggest adjustment with this disease was quitting those sports and keeping myself on the ground and out of the sky. I have trouble standing, walking or sitting for a long time, and using my hands for writing, buttons, opening jars, etc. These days, I enjoy hiking and camping and hope to get into cross-country skiing this winter.
-Kathryn Douglas
British Columbia, Canada
No comments:
Post a Comment