Read In Your Native Language

Saturday, January 4, 2014

A.S. Face 0491: Alexis

A.S. Face 0491: Alexis

Alexis



     I first heard the term Ankylosing Spondylitis when I was 25 and developed a severe case of iritis. Four years later my sacroiliac joints flared up and I was diagnosed with A.S. I was more fortunate than many patients in that it didn’t take me years to be diagnosed; the orthopedic surgeon I saw had been an army doctor and had seen many cases of A.S. in the service. He first diagnosed me with a herniated disc but when I returned two days later unable to walk he suspected A.S. He sent me for tests and a confirmation consult with a rheumatologist and I had an answer within a month and was able to start treatment.

     I’ve had A.S. for 27 years now and I consider myself lucky that it’s a milder case than many. It’s progressed fairly slowly and even though I’m not able to do some of the things I used to, I’ve learned to pace myself and I get around. :)  I pray that one day we will have a way to prevent or halt all autoimmune diseases. I’m very thankful for this site, knowing that others understand my experience. I believe it will provide an important resource for research in the future.



Southern California United States of America

No comments:

Post a Comment