Read In Your Native Language

Monday, December 23, 2013

A.S. Face 0241: Rob

A.S. Face 0241: Rob


So many beautiful people with such an “UGLY” disease. The more I read each story behind the faces, the more I feel the fight each one of us shares, and though sad, it’s comforting to know the support gets stronger as the numbers grow. My story, like so many others, has been a life long battle of pain and fatigue and not knowing why. In 1999 at the age of 35, blood tests came back with the A.S. gene HLA-B27. Wow, then came the fun of trying to explain that one to friends and relatives, it was hard enough just pronouncing the word ! But my goal from there was to learn how to live with “it”,now at the age of 48, and after too many years of medications, I try not taking anything if I can help it. Physical therapy (stretching exercises), and laughter have been the best medicine for me, I’ve even done thia chi and found that to be helpful. I’m leaving so much of my story out, mainly because it would  take too much typing to include all the complications A.S. has caused throughout my life, but I want to thankyou Cookie for all your efforts in starting this support group bringing together so many faces for a disease too many have yet to learn about .
Southeast Alaska United States of America

No comments:

Post a Comment