Read In Your Native Language

Monday, June 6, 2022

A.S. Face 2228: Kathleen

 A.S. Face 2228: Kathleen


My name is Kathleen, I am from Washington state, and I have AS. Everyone’s journey is different, and that’s okay. A few years after having my daughter at 31, I started having terrible pains in my mid back. It felt like someone took a sword and pushed it through my back out through my chest. I was training for my 3rd half marathon and thought I had pulled a muscle or something worse. A year later, after multiple doctors throwing everything at the proverbial wall and seeing what sticks did I finally had a Rheumatologist tell me that I had AS.

I went through years of mourning for who I was before AS. Biologics have given me my life back, and I have learned over the past 12 years to find alternatives to things I love. Instead of running, I hike-and WOW, have I found some gorgeous places. This picture is of me hiking in the Olympic National Forest. Some days are worse than others, but I have a wonderful family who supports me and cheers me on no matter what.


You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person


Washington, United States of America

No comments:

Post a Comment