Read In Your Native Language

Friday, April 20, 2018

A.S. Face 2085: Marisa Blandford

A.S. Face 2085: Marisa Blandford

Face 2085

My name Marisa, I am 37 and I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and Fibromyalgia. I am a wife, mother of two beautiful kids, and work full time as an Executive Assistant.

I wasn’t diagnosed until 3 years ago. I have suffered with back and knee issues for most of my life, that have been getting progressively worse over time.

Since being diagnosed, I have tried Simponi and Humira. So far, the Humira takes the edge off most of the time, however, I have other non-related surgery so have had to stop my treatment for 6 months – I am currently 3 months in and the increase in severity of my symptoms during this time has me finding it a tad hard to manage basic tasks day to day at times. Some days with the Fibro as well, you just have to take some ‘me’ time and spend the day resting in bed in order to keep on going the next day.

I hope to one day hear the news that they have found a cure for this debilitating disease, not for me, but for the sake of my children should they ever get diagnosed with the same condition as their mum, and for all the other children and young adults facing this so early in their lives.

I am thankful that at this point and with two young children, I am not suffering as much as others whose condition has worsened further than mine, but I am not blind to the reality that one day the injections will stop working and things will start to get worse. With every inch of my soul I hope that day is a long way off yet, and when it does come I will continue to fight it with everything I’ve got.

I am always talking to friends, family, and colleagues that ask me about my illnesses, in the hopes of raising more awareness about these conditions.

Western Australia, Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment